7 common types of ultrasound scans your doctor advises you.
Ultrasound (US) imaging is a safe, painless and radiation-free method of producing real time pictures of internal organs and systems. It is used to examine many parts of the body including the abdomen, pelvis and blood vessels, as well as the fetus during pregnancy.
Because your doctor needs more information about your condition to guide your health care, you have been advised an ultrasound scan for a diagnostic examination.
7 COMMON TYPES OF ULTRASOUND SCANS:
1. Abdominal Ultrasound : Assesses the gallbladder, liver, spleen, pancreas and kidneys.
2. Fetal or Obstetric Ultrasound: Evaluates the size and age of a fetus and assesses its growth, development and well-being during pregnancy. Fetal ultrasound can be used to detect some, but not all, fetal abnormalities.
3. Nuchal translucency screening Ultrasound : Assesses the risk for down syndrome (DS) and other chromosomal abnormalities in a fetus during pregnancy. Test performed at a fetal age of 11-13 weeks by a trained radiologist
4. Pelvic or Transvaginal Ultrasound: evaluates the uterus, ovaries and their surrounding anatomy. A pelvic ultrasound may require a specially designed transducer be gently inserted into the vagina.
5. Thyroid Ultrasound: Evaluates the size of the thyroid gland and looks for thyroid nodules.
6. Sonomammography : Assesses the nature of breast abnormality, solid or cystic; a non-cancerous lump of tissue or a cancerous tumour.
7. Follicular study: Evaluates size of the follicle in ovaries & a few uterine factors by ultrasound, thereby determining the time of ovulation, helpful in managing infertility
These common scans are done at Ludhiana Hospital & Scan centre where we make your comfort and safety the focus of our concern. Dr Nidhi Gupta is an expert & certified sonographer with an experience of more than 18 years. She will efficiently and caringly capture the detailed images needed, interpret them and promptly report the results giving you and your doctor a clearer, more accurate picture of your health.
Be assured that throughout your examination, our skilled and compassionate staff and doctor will be dedicated to your care, comfort and safety. You are in safe hands.